Thursday, November 23, 2006

Thanksgiving with the Connells

Hello!
How are you doing? Yesterday, even though ti is today, we had a thanksgiving dinner. Haha, yeah, I know, it is supposed to be a Thursday lunch, but we did a Wednesday dinner. Heather’s family is here for Thanksgiving, so they invited all of us to the apartment they rented in Madrid. On the American side we had heather, her mom and dad, her sister and her brother, Lauren, Justin and Dana. On the Spanish side it was Toti (Heather’s host mom), a family that hosted Heather’s brother for 2 weeks in Madrid with a high school exchange program and me.

We had the typical American Thanksgiving. After Jack’s (Heather’s dad) speech about what Thanksgiving is, we started eating. We had everything: a huge turkey, cranberries, vegetables, mashed potatoes, the stuffing… The chef was amazing, and they said that Spanish turkeys don’t have anything to envy the ones from the other side of the ocean! And we got to the dessert: apple pie and pumpkin pie.

During the appetizers I talked a lot with the host family dad of Heather’s brother. This man works for Banco Santander (the bank I work for), but he is one of those people “up there”. I still have a long way to go to reach him! During dinner I was sat next to Toti and in front of host family mother of Heather’s brother. We had a great time, except for the moment when we started talking about politics. It was this lady’s idea, and I think it was the worst idea of the night.

After dinner, we decided to go out for a drink. The apartment they have rented is in calle Segovia, so we walked to Plaza Mayor, and had a beer there. After the beer, I “walked” to get a taxi, and around 2.30am I was home.

No comments: